Event Description: All participants are required to have had the COVID vaccine at least 2 weeks before trip.
Jim Roberts a fly fishing guide and instructor and long time supporter of TVFF has presented to the club many time and has often focused on Nymphing Techniques. On Friday, August 13th thru Sunday August 15th Jim will be giving an intensive on the water Beginning Nymphing Clinic. The clinic will be limited to six members of Tri-Valley Fly Fishers. The clinic will include everything (meals, flies, leaders, lodging and instruction). Attendees will provide their own fishing gear, and licenses.
This clinic is for beginners where Jim will show how to safely wade, rig for nymphing, read the water and practical, on-the-water nymphing technique on the McCloud or Upper Sacramento Rivers. Expect to Catch Fish.
This is an intensive 2-day on the water clinic aimed at Fly Fisherman with no previous Nymphing experience. It is broken into 4 half-day sessions, each with a demonstration and discussion followed by coached on-the-water practice. Participants should expect to come away with practical understanding of:
How and when to rig and use indicators, high-stick, wet-fly swing and Czech Nymphing methods
How to prospect and read the stream
- · How to select appropriate fly for location
- · How and when to sight fish
- · and many more topics related to Nymphing and fly-fishing in general.
- · 2 nights lodging in the Shasta/McCloud area.
- · All meals from dinner Friday night to lunch Sunday
- · Beer and Wine with dinners
- · Flies
Participants must bring:
- · Current CA fishing license
- · Regular fishing gear (waders, boots, 4 to 6 wt – 8 to 10’ rod*,reel, floating line, 3-5X tippet, polarized glasses, brimmed hat, forceps, nippers sun-screen,, )
- · Optional equipment: studded boots, wading staff, PFD, reading glasses
- · Transportation from lodging to river
Participants should plan on arriving at the lodging near McCloud, California between 2 o’clock and 5 o’clock on Friday and plan on departing Sunday Evening
- · Morning Leave Tri-Valley for McCloud
- · 2-5PM Arrive at Lodging
- · 5:30 PM Reception (nibbles, wine ,beer, and soft drinks)
- · 6:00 PM Discussion by Jim on what we’ll be doing
- · 7:30 PM Dinner
Saturday 7AM Breakfast
- · 8AM Discussion and demonstration casting technique.
- · 9AM Leave for McCloud/Upper Sac river (dress out in wading gear)
- · 10AM On-water demonstration, practice and coaching
- · 1PM Lunch
- · 2PM On-water practice and coaching
- · 6PM Leave for lodge
- · 7:30 Dinner
- · 7:30 AM Breakfast
- · 8:30 AM Leave for Upper Sac river (dress out in wading gear)
- · 9AM Discussion and demonstration different techniques
- · 10AM On-water practice and coaching
- · 1PM Lunch
- · 2PM Putting it all together, spotting fish, reading water and selecting flies
- · 3PM On-water practice and coaching
- · 6PM Leave for home
Cost: Cost: $500 per person including all food, drinks, lodging, flies & hosted by Jim Roberts. The clinic includes all meals with dinners at the house and lunches on the river. The food is great and plentiful and no one will go hungry. Full payment is required to hold the clinic. Make checks out to TVFF and please send to our PO Box 2358, Livermore, CA 94550.
Accommodations and Food: All lodging and food is provided.
California License Required:
Gear and Tackle Recommendations:
Rods: Recommend 4 to 6 wt, 8 to 10 ft long – optimum 5wt, 10ft
Fly Line: double taper, or weight forward but not weighted head with running line
Don't rig up, Jim will show you how and provide flies.
Camera (there will be critters)
Wading staff (some of the wading can be pretty damn tough)
Waders and boots,
TVFF Cancellation Policy:
To sign-up for a TVFF Event that is currently open for registration and chargeable (as set by the Fishmeister), you must both register and pay online, or via check or cash, within 10 days of registering (sent to the TVFF Treasurer) whatever fee is described for that particular Event (trip) at the time of registration. However, please note that you are still responsible for the entire amount of the trip if you should need to cancel.
Once you are registered, there are no refunds for chargeable Events and trips. In the situation that a member is, for any reason unable to attend, they may resell their registration slot to another TVFF member (by first pulling from the waitlist if one exists). New participants must come first from the waitlist in the order they signed up. The member cancelling is fully and solely responsible for contacting potential members to replace them and notifying the appropriate Fishmeister.
If an event/trip is fully registered and closed to registration, you may still sign up on the Wait List to be notified if there are any cancellations. In such a case of registering provisionally on the Wait List, you do not have to pay until such time that you clear the Wait List and are confirmed for participation.
Tri Valley Fly Fishers
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Protocol
TVFF Outings Policy as of September 20, 2020
As a club, the Tri Valley Fly Fishers have developed and agreed to a set of required guidelines, protocols and rules in order to help direct our members on ways to stay safe day, multi-day outings, or individual “Tag-Alongs”.
These protocols were developed by the TVFF Board of Directors as well as input from other local clubs which included a member virologist, various safety committees, and member experts. We feel that these protocols and guidelines are consistent with public health information and experts. These protocols are assured, observed, and enforced by outing leaders as well as members themselves. Extra masks, spray disinfectant and sanitizer are available from the outing leaders.
Please note that the Tri Valley Fly Fishers accepts no liability for inadequate protection or the transmission of Covid-19 among members or guests. Therefore, each member should review the following protocols that the Club subscribes to and make an individual decision of whether to participate in an activity or not, based upon their individual circumstances and personal safety.
TVFF Outings protocols are as follows:
· If you are sick with cold/flu symptoms then we ask you to please stay home
· All attendees should drive up and back alone unless you are in mutually agreed social bubble where both parties have been tested negative and agreed to the risk (such as family members)
· On all outings the Club will have available and use an Infrared Thermometer temperature checks
· We believe in social distancing and require that all members keep a full fly rod distance of at least 6’ distance between parties
· We ask that all parties wear masks if within 6’; even if only briefly. Note that the CDC has not recommended the use of buffs or gaiters as the material is not thick enough for adequate protection.
· Everyone will be responsible for making, bringing, and consuming their own separate food and drinks
· When camping all members and guests are required to use separate camping tents or rooms, when hotels are arranged
· Please handle your own gear (and your own fish!) only. No sharing for doctored fish pictures.
· In the event that there are common surfaces (i.e. car surfaces, door handles, etc.) please wipe them down with sanitizer or hand wipes
· All attendees should wash and sanitize their hands frequently