Newsletter | |
Our November speakers, Bob and Ginny Stewart first came into the Chilcotin in 1950. In their explorations for a great fishing lake, they ran into the local game warden who told them that the best fishing in the country was Nimpo Lake. So, in 1953, with tents and rowboats, they established their first camp.
With only a local Indian family occupying the outlet of Nimpo Lake, they had the pick of all the land surrounding the lake. They carefully chose a fabulous 40 acre piece with southern exposure and a view to the Coastal Mountains. Ginny recalls, “There were so many trout jumping in the lake that sometimes the splashy rises would keep us awake at night.”
Log cabins, built by local natives, soon replaced the tent camp along the lake’s shore. One of the cabins, situated on a high knoll with that spectacular view, became the main lodge. The first customers came by car, braving the rough two day’s drive from Williams Lake.